Sophie's Planetary Blog

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

As Time Goes By

Well new month. New Post.

Am trying to work out how to play 'As Time goes By' So that I can play it in Bars on shite upright pianos. Or one MY shite upright piano which for possibly the first time this year... I woke up, noseyed downstairs to make some tea and while the kettle boiled I sat down for a momentary tinkle, and my piano was perfectly in tune! Absolutley and wonderfully in tune, not an echo, not a vaguely flat note, not a slightly spongey feeling, nothing. Just sharp, responsive, fresh and lovely. I was so damn happy. I had been thinking about parting with £40 to get a man in to fiddle around inside my piano, because it seriously hasn't been in tune for at least six months. I mean it does go a bit AWOl from time to time, summmer months usually especially when the temperature peaks, or if it's a bit humid. Usually it's alright, the livingroom where it sits usually manages quite a stable temperature whatever the weather. This year though, with all this heatwaves, and high humidities... The piano has been less than half decent. I'd gotten so used to the lack of response that I'd altered my way of playing so as to extract some sort of music, and was shocked this morning by the sharpness of my 'Cha Cha'. All the staccato notes were actually staccato.

Ahhh it's great having my piano back... greater now that I don't have to get a man in.

2 Comments:

  • Just watched Casablanca and had a go now (V. Cool film, Claude Rains is fantastic, classic line after classic...(must, stop, gushing).

    First chord is definitely Ab Major and I think it progresses in that direcftion Bb, Cm etc.

    It's definitely in the key of Eb Major and what sounds like an F minor at "world will always welcome lovers" bit. My ears do need tuning but I hope that helped.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:17 AM  

  • Thaaaaaaaaaaaaaankies!!!!

    I am really really very rubbish at playing from ear... But I am trying to make an effort in order to become just ever so slightly more proffesional sounding.

    And I've always wanted to play that song... On a rubbish piano... in a bar... in Paris...

    By Blogger Sophie, at 10:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home